My Life as a Tourism Reseacher

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The Slow Boat to Bohol

The Philippines is an archipelagic country with more than seven thousand islands scattered all over its territory. Therefore, its sea transportation must already be advanced even ten years ago. Correct? Wrong!

Even before the Spaniards came, Filipinos have been traveling by boats. But some real good and fast boats have never been used in our country until the mid 90’s. What were basically used to travel from one island to another were small ferryboats. Even with the advent of fast ferries, there are still numerous old, slow boats that service many of the Philippines’ islands. And the best places to get a taste of these boats are in the Visayas and Mindanao areas.

A typical, non-modern ferryboat could hold about 300 passengers. It is usually divided into economy (provided only with wooden benches or cots), the tourist class (this time, the benches are padded), and the cabin (four people can fit into this air-conditioned claustrophobic space. Aside from humans, a ferryboat can also accommodate about 200 sacks of rice, construction materials, lots of cans of biscuits, and occasionally, chickens, cows and pigs.

The best slow ferry experience I had was the one I took from Cebu to Bohol. Unfortunately for me, I went there on the month of May. This is the time when the whole clans of Boholanos congregate in the province for month-long fiesta celebrations at any given point in the island. This practice is so ingrained among the people of Bohol that many of them are willing to lose their jobs in Manila or Cebu just so they can go home. And what did it mean to me? I ran out of ferry tickets. But luck comes to man in trouble. A scalper disguised as a vendor approached me and offered to sell me a ticket so long as I bought some of his trade. Fair enough. I spent 30 pesos on banana chips. Then I settled at the economy section at one side of the boat. There I saw naked children asking boat passengers to throw money into the sea. They in turn dived and catched those coins. My attention was focused on one kid who was standing on a pole. He kept diving and retrieving coins and yet his hands remained empty. Then I saw him open his mouth and spit out about four pieces of coins!

There were so many other things to watch as one waits for the ferryboat to depart. There were ice water vendors who threw plastic bags filled with very cold water to the thirsty passengers. Inside the ferry, my curiosity was aimed towards a lady who held a plastic basket. As she neared my place, I saw what was inside the basket – a manicure set. She was seeking customers then.

As the boat signaled its departure, business entrepreneurs struggled to get out of the boat. After about five minutes we finally got a taste of the sea breeze that continued caressing our faces for the next four hours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home